Monday, March 14, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Syrup


One of my favorite treats growing up was chocolate milk. As I have noted here in the past, I love milk in almost any form, but especially with coffee or chocolate as a companion!

When I was about seven, my grandma gave me this little battery powered chocolate milk maker; it was basically a very low powered blender of sorts....the ultimate single tasker of of a kitchen...however, I used that thing almost every night until it up and died on me.

Dad is predictable (sorry dad!), he would get a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup, a handful of chocolate chips, or a couple fig newtons when the news came on after dinner; I would go for chocolate milk (which I suppose I'm predictable too...ce la vie.)


I have really been craving chocolate milk here lately, but every time I go to the store I just can't buy that can of Hershey's I grew up with due to the not so wonderful ingredients listed on the back.

You can see that list for yourself here without going to the grocery store OR you can make your own with five ingredients that you likely have on hand...read on my friend read on...


In DC I was an avid reader of the Wednesday Washington Post (because of the food section of course). I did a search for a chocolate syrup recipe and low and behold, gotta love archives, because it is here in all its glory.


I put mine in a mug (I prefer cups with handles for those who do not personally know me and just happened upon this site...yes, I'm weird) and headed to the deck to sip my treat. I deserved it; I attempted to ride my bike on the hills around our house today...stupid, stupid idea...I am way too out of shape for that kind of work out!

The great part about this syrup is that it will keep in your fridge for several weeks because it is basically a chocolate simple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment