Saturday, March 5, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits--Round 1

Dan and I were lazy this morning; he was up around 9am, but Remi and I slept in until around 1oam. I hate for food to go to waste, so since I had buttermilk in the fridge from making the Texas sheet cake cupakes on Wednesday, I thought buttermilk biscuits were in order; I have a few recipes I'd like to test, hence the round 1.


Kate's Butter has a recipe on their website that was so simple that I had to try it.

These truly are ridiculously easy and tasty. I was ultra lazy and didn't knead or roll them; I just used a small ice cream scoop and dished them onto a sheet pan.


They would not win any prizes in beauty, but they are none the less fluffy and flavorful. I think that these would work well as a vehicle for sausage gravy; however, for a biscuit to eat on it's own I have another recipe to test because this wasn't my ultimate (all that it's lacking I think is a bit of sugar).


Dan made a bit of scrambled eggs with sausage, cheese and onion; overall, a rather tasty little Saturdy brunch.



--2 cups AP flour (1o oz)
--1/2 tsp. baking soda
--2 tsps. baking powder
--1/2 tsp. salt
--1/2 cup (one stick)
--3/4 cup buttermilk


Pre-heat oven to 450 F; bake for 12 minutes.


Directions:

1. Sift dry ingredients (first 4). I cheat and just whisk them together well.

2. Cut in the butter w/ a pastry blender or two knives (or you can do this is a food processor; I just find that my pastry blender is easier to clean than my processor).

3. Add buttermilk. Mix until it is just combined; do not overwork or you'll have tough biscuits.
4. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Knead lightly and cut with a biscuit cutter. (It was 10:30am at this point and we were hungry so that's why I just scooped them out with a small ice cream scoop; as noted before, they are rustic for sure but still delicious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment